Saturday 10 October 2009

Let's go to London, for music and fun

Today I took a trip to London to see Colin Jones' The Who photo exhibition, in Proud Galleries (in Charing Cross WC2) with my dad. It was a great exhibition. The photos gave you an inside look at the lives of the band, some were even taken in the morning before they had got out of bed. Jones basically had a free pass to the lives of The Who, so he could just walk into their hotel rooms and anywhere backstage without much fuss. There were some photos of their gig in Manchester in 1966, and lot of backstage shenanigans caught on camera as well.


After we had spent about half an hour there we decided to head to Denmark Street just off of Oxford Street. For those who don't know this street is a guitar player’s paradise. The whole of the small street is dedicated to musical instruments (especially guitars), save for a few hairdressers and coffee shops. I hadn't been there for ages, so I was quite happy to wander round aimlessly, just staring and drooling over the Gibson and Fender guitars. Most people seemed to be doing the same, one shopkeeper ended a phone call with his friend by saying, "OK, I'm just going to get back to my shop and not sell anything. Bye mate". This made me chuckle.

We had lunch in a nice café. Paninis and Milkshakes were very welcome after a long day walking around London.

The funniest thing I heard all day (and there were quite a few things) a white man who was obviously a Muslim, he was walking with three men in suits and one of the men he was with sneezed, and he said to them, "Uh oh, you haven't been eating pork again have you?" (Swine Flu reference and Eating of pork banned in the Qur’an jokes all in one). This caused me to laugh out loud.

I've bought tickets to see the Drums on the 27th of October and also White Lies, Bombay Bicycle Club and The Drums (again) on October 19th. So, I'm really looking forward to them. I'm going to see Green Day sandwiched in between them on the 23rd, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment